Grafana is a multi-platform open source analytics and interactive visualization software available since 2014.
It provides charts, graphs, and alerts for the web when connected to supported data sources.
It is expandable through a plug-in system. End users can create complex monitoring dashboards using interactive query builders.
Prometheus is a free software application used for event monitoring and alerting.
It records real-time metrics in a time series database (allowing for high dimensionality) built using a HTTP pull model,
with flexible queries and real-time alerting
A typical monitoring platform with Prometheus is composed of multiple tools:
- Multiple exporters that typically run on the monitored host to export local metrics.
- Prometheus to centralize and store the metrics.
- Alertmanager to trigger alerts based on those metrics.
- Grafana to produce dashboards.
- PromQL is the query language used to create dashboards and alerts.